After the hectic buzz of Hanoi, we couldn't have asked for anything more peaceful and easy as Halong Bay. Campaigning to become one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the world, Halong Bay is a group of rocky islands, full of caves, quiet beaches, and national parks.
Whilst being so naturally beautiful, Halong Bay has quickly become a main tourist destination for North Vietnam, which many different tour companies and hostels offering standard package tours - which to us would normally scream out "rip off!". If we were going to do a tour, we wanted it to be worth it, but its always such a gamble out here. Also, due to the weather being disappointing, we were so worried that we'd either be stuck on a boat that was dirty, with rubbish food and annoying guides, or just that we were on a boat with 'weirdos'.
For once, our luck was in! It was honestly the best couple of days that we've had out here so far. The tour was such good value. Three delicious meals a day with rice, seafood, noodles and spring rolls (and MAYONNAISE!!!), the most comfortable beds we've slept in since we left, and a brilliant tour guide nicknamed 'Captain Jack'. Despite the weather, the views were still stunning. It was an arguably better view, with a slight mist covering the peaks of the many islands erupting from the water's surface: slightly more like something out of Pirates of The Caribbean. Captain Jack (Sparrow) was great fun, and taught us a lot about Halong Bay.
We walked through the huge caves, looking in wonder at the many strange shapes that some of the coves and peaks. Captain Jack said that many peaks could look like animals or shapes, depending on the strength of your imagination. His big surprise was a rather majestic 'peak' that he likes to call the "Good Morning Rock" - I'll leave you to work that one out! It really was amazing how huge the caves were, and all formed naturally. Jack told us a little about the ancient tales about Halong, which means "Descending Dragon", and how the Vietnamese and Chinese soldiers used to hide in the caves for safety during the war.
We kayaked in the drizzle, freezing our legs off, but marveled at the little floating villages, where communities spend their lives on water - some never setting foot on land. Quite shocking to think about, but fascinating too.
The first night was spent on the boat. After recent tragedy of a tour boat sinking in Halong Bay, we tried to push those thoughts to the back of our heads, and enjoy the luxury! It was in the evening that we met the rest of our group. And what a bloody brilliant group it was!
We were already with the three English boys, Andy, Luke and Jonathan, but were introduced to the Canadians: Sean, Brendan, Tiane and Shane. Such a great group of guys (and the outnumbered girl) who got the entire group of Swiss, Spanish and American all sitting around a table playing drinking games. Annabel and I took control of the organised fun, and the Canadians took control of the drinking! It was a great night, and made us two really glad to have booked that particular tour, as we had feared an anti social boat!
The next morning was a little painful. Lucky for us we had fresh air, cycling and Monkey Island and beach bungalows awaiting us. We played soccer (wannabe football) on the beach with England vs. Canada. Sadly, I was on Team Canada, but I like to think that I carried the team to victory! After breaking up a ridiculous sweat, it was time to climb to the monkeys! And when I say climb, I mean pretty much vertical. Not the easiest, but worth it to feed a cheeky monkey.
That night, despite the tiredness, we partied again. This time it was only Team Englanada (just made that up), but with one extra asset: karaoke. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of karaoke, as I suffer from a low cringe threshold, but give me a couple of cheap beers and I'm up there singing "In The Jungle", "I'm Too Sexy" and fancying myself as the new Stevie Nicks. It was a great night, once again, and the next day Bells and I began to feel like we were going to miss these guys...
We were very sad to leave Halong Bay. Yes, we spent most of the time a little cold and a lot hungover, but we made some great new friends, saw some beautiful sights, and ate too much good food. Worth $98 for three days of luxury? I think so. Oh my buddha, take me back to Halong Bay...
No comments:
Post a Comment